10 Reasons why you should hire a Professional Copywriter (ME!)
By Gery L. Deer
Owner / Copywriter
GLD Enterprises Communications, Ltd.
There are countless articles and videos out there trying to convince you why hiring a copywriter is the right move for your business. This is not one of those. Well, yes, it is, but tell me if any of these excuses against retaining a professional copywriter sounds familiar to you?
“I don’t need to hire a writer; my assistant can do it.” No. She has other duties. “We have a marketing director, isn’t that her job?” No. Your marketing director has a lot of jobs, but copywriter is not one of them. “Just Google it and copy something off the Internet.” You’d better have a lawyer on staff too, then. And my personal favorite … “Everybody’s a writer. Anyone can do that.” Could someone please help me off the floor, I laughed so hard I just fell off my chair.
Time is valuable, so I’m not going to waste any more of yours on a trite introduction. So, here are my 10 reasons why you should hire a professional copywriter, specifically, reasons to hire ME!
- Economics. Yes, it might be a little on the nose to start this list by telling you about the money you’ll save using a freelance professional, even if you already employ someone who does this kind of work. If you don’t have a dedicated writer on staff that means you’re pulling resources from somewhere else to get it done. In that case, it may require repeated revisions to nail down the copy, increasing the cost of the work.
- Expertise. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are fewer than 133,000 professional writers in the United States. Chances are you don’t have one of those people working for you. An experienced, professional writer will know how to organize the project and get it done better and more efficiently without distraction.
- Clarity. Even if you have someone in-house writing content, it’s always a good idea to have it reviewed, freshened up or polished from another perspective. Sometimes, even the theme and topic of the project might be better tuned for the audience. It may take an outside eye to catch some of these issues.
- Networking. If you’re a web developer, print company, or another creative shop, a professional copywriter is probably a great referral source. Often content developers are approached for one service but, in total, also need a variety of others. Creating a referral partnership with each other keeps business flowing and the cash registers ringing for everyone!
- ROI. Let’s face facts, the reason you have marketing copy is to generate revenue. If it doesn’t bring in a good return on your investment, then why bother? Hiring a professional copywriter, particularly one with solid marketing experience, will improve your return on the investment.
- Quality. Often, some of the best and most experienced talents work independently, the “hired gun” model, if you will. Independent contractors (freelancers) generally have a better understanding of business operations and the importance of value in any expenditure.
- Innovation. Independent operators tend to be more adaptive and open to new ideas and technology. Not bogged down with some of the inside issues of “this is how we’ve always done it,” a freelancer can more easily suggest and install new methods, ideas, and technology with less resistance.
- Flexibility. Not being tied to an 8 to 5, Monday through Friday work week offers a great advantage to clients of an independent contractor. Since they are often on a flexible, self-generated schedule, you could potentially begin an assignment with them on Friday afternoon and possibly have the result waiting in your email inbox Monday morning.
- Objectivity. Sometimes, we are too close to our own work to be objective. An independent professional copywriter can help you to see yourself and your company more realistically. Or they can help present your organization’s message the way you want the world to see it – especially your potential customers.
- Language. Do you know what “language” is? Language is more than grammar and alliteration. Word selection, dialect, context, and writing are all vital to your message being received correctly by the right audience. Professional writers understand language use between industries and consumer groups.
And if you still see hiring a professional writer as more of an expense than an investment, don’t bother. If none of this convinces you, and you’re fine with mediocre messaging in your marketing, on your website, in your sales literature, then I have nothing else to offer you.
As I can see it, you have no more excuses. If you see the value in my services, call me today, 937-902-4857, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let me help you get your message right – the first time.